From: digitig@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Tim Rowe")
Subject: Re: Ada / Boeing 777
Date: 1996/03/16
Date: 1996-03-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

ron thompson <thompsor@admin.tc.faa.gov>

> The only "bugs", "problems", "burps", "hiccups", whatever
> you wish to call them that matter in an airplane are
> the ones that keep it on the ground.

This is patently wrong, and dangerously so. "bugs", "problems", "burps",
"hiccups" that keep an aircraft on the ground are intrinsically pretty
safe. The ones that *do* matter are the ones that are likely to encourage
the aircraft to *return* to the ground in an untimely and inadequately
controlled manner. Commonly called a crash.

As an example, there was a known fault on one of the Airbus range (which
has been flying total fly-by-wire for *many* years before the 777!) that
meant that when flying a heading of 00 degrees, if the pilot commanded
the aircraft to turn a bit one way, the aircraft could actually turn the
other way. It was turning to the correct heading, but it was going the
359 degree route, not the 1 degree route. Now, there are not many runways
in the world that are close to north-south, but there are a few, and when
that bug showed itself on a final approach I bet the pilots pants turned
brown. The pilot recovered it safely, but it was the subject of an
accident investigation, and I read about it in the published results. It
turned up in comp.risks, too, as you might expect. Presumably JAA is
satisfied that it's safe, but sorry, the fact that it is flying is not
any such proof.

AIUI the Airbus range has triplicated *diverse* systems for critical
functions. The 777 has triplicated *identical* systems (I'm trusting the
press for this, so it may not be gospel).

digiTig
(Tim Rowe)