From: scott@hakuin.boeing.com (Scott Moody)
Subject: Re: ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES, Forest, POSIX
Date: 1996/03/15
Date: 1996-03-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

The question of 'getenv' is obviously easy to solve
by making the direct call to the unix you happen to be compiling
on TODAY. What about those other non-standard unix calls
like 'getwd' -- all those that whenever I try to compile C code
from SunOS to SOlaris I hit.

That was why the POSIX interface seems to be the correct abstraction.

I am somewhat worried also about the Forest copywrite restrictions..
. but am more worried about the 'thick' binding that Forest provides.
I can't look at the POSIX manual, and write Ada code. I have to look at
say Forest, and see how (syntax) they let me access that code.

One answer would be to get Ada.POSIX to do it .. then place it into
the language standard, and push the burdon onto ada compilers to
provide portability..
 The ada.command_line is a start at this..

-scott