* Wanted : graphic package for education
@ 1996-02-23  0:00 Frederic Boutet
From: Frederic Boutet @ 1996-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

First of all, sorry for my english written.

We are a quite new team teaching in the first year of the engineering
high school of INSA at Toulouse, France.We got the gwu Ada compiler at
New York University and our students begin with computers on a
Macintosh environment. We would like to do some practical works on car
traffic management problems and for this, we need a graphical
interface in a package so that we could draw our traffic simulation.

Could please someone help us ?

Frederic Boutet

* Re: Wanted : graphic package for education
@ 1996-02-23  0:00 ` Richard Pattis
From: Richard Pattis @ 1996-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4gkg1t$77i@news.cict.fr>,
Frederic Boutet <boutet@insage.insa-tlse.fr> wrote:

>We are a quite new team teaching in the first year of the engineering
>high school of INSA at Toulouse, France.We got the gwu Ada compiler at
>New York University and our students begin with computers on a
>Macintosh environment. We would like to do some practical works on car
>traffic management problems and for this, we need a graphical
>interface in a package so that we could draw our traffic simulation.
>
>Could please someone help us ?

Didn't anyone ever tell you that Ada is too hard of a language to teach
to beginners! I guess, though, that your high school students are pretty
smart, since they have already mastered French, which I never learned well,
even in College!

Rich :)

* Re: Wanted : graphic package for education
@ 1996-02-24  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Pattis said

"Didn't anyone ever tell you that Ada is too hard of a language to teach
to beginners! I guess, though, that your high school students are pretty
smart, since they have already mastered French, which I never learned well,
even in College!"

Echoes of Mark Twain who said "France is a very sophisticated country,
even the children speak French!"

:-)

* Re: Wanted : graphic package for education
@ 1996-02-26  0:00   ` Frederic Boutet
From: Frederic Boutet @ 1996-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

pattis@cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) wrote:

>Didn't anyone ever tell you that Ada is too hard of a language to teach
>to beginners! I guess, though, that your high school students are pretty
>smart, since they have already mastered French, which I never learned well,
>even in College!

>Rich :)

To start with computers, or anything else, you have to speak your
natural language. But English is not the natural language of everybody
in the world. However, in these hard conditions, we try to do our
best.

@ 1996-02-26  0:00   ` Jerome Desquilbet
From: Jerome Desquilbet @ 1996-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Frederic Boutet

Richard Pattis wrote:
> Didn't anyone ever tell you that Ada is too hard of a language to
> teach to beginners! I guess, though, that your high school students
> are pretty smart, since they have already mastered French, which I
> never learned well, even in College!

I don't want to restart a polemical thread about the best language to
learn first, BUT:

- for about 18-20 years old students, Ada is the best language to learn
first, and still the best language to use after

- most of the engineer schools in France teach Ada.

We _are_ pretty smart in France... Try our bone in the nose, it helps a
lot!

  Jerome.

PS: sorry Frederic, I have no information for your initial question...