* Re: Visibility of private parts
@ 1996-02-21  0:00 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4gf81d$p4b@erinews.ericsson.se>,
Jonas Nygren <ehsjony@ehs.ericsson.se> wrote:
>Should B be allowed to see A's private parts?
>Is it a feature or a bug?

Sounds like a bug.  (In the compiler, not the language.)

- Bob

* Re: Visibility of private parts
@ 1996-02-21  0:00 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4gf81d$p4b@erinews.ericsson.se>,
Jonas Nygren <ehsjony@ehs.ericsson.se> wrote:

>I believed that your private parts were hidden in Ada.

Excuse me, that type of language is no longer allowed on the Internet
because of the US's recently-passed Communications Decency Act.  Clean
up your language or this newsgroup will be voted out by the US
Congress.

\f
Big smiley, for those of you that actually thought I was serious :-)

--
		    GNAT = GNAT is Not an Ada Translator
==Ada 95 Booch Components: www.ocsystems.com/booch or www.dfw.net/~dweller==

* Visibility of private parts
@ 1996-02-21  0:00 Jonas Nygren
From: Jonas Nygren @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believed that your private parts were hidden in Ada.

Though, the function Bs.Something manages to call
As.As_Private_Parts though it is a private type
with a private procedure in the short example below.

package As is
   type A is private;
private
   type A is tagged null record;
   procedure As_Private_Parts (An_A : in out A);
end As;

with As;
package Bs is
   type B is new As.A;
   procedure Something (A_B : in out B);
end Bs;

package body Bs is
   procedure Something (A_B : in out B) is
   begin
      As_Private_Parts(A_B);
   end Something;
end Bs;

Compiling bs.adb does not report any error - how can that be?

Should B be allowed to see A's private parts?
Is it a feature or a bug?

/jonas