From: <adaworks@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for topics in an Ada course?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:45:07 GMT
Date: 2007-11-12T17:45:07+00:00	[thread overview]

"John McCormick" <mccormick@cs.uni.edu> wrote in message
news:1194882790.326239.115730@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

>  I suggest that you avoid GUI or graphics programming.  The Ada tools are
> simply not up to what they have seen in C++ and Java.

My students really like being able to do some elementary graphics
with JEWL.   I make it clear to them that JEWL is not an industrial
strength graphics library, but it is easy to use.   In fact, it is, for
MS-Windows programming, easier to use than Java for the kind of
simple programs they do.

I have been surprised by the programs my students have turned in
using JEWL.  Consider, scientific calculators, encrypting text editors,
two-paddle pong programs, specialized navigation calculators, among
others.    I have found JEWL to be much better for this kind of thing
than Ada.Text_IO.   In fact, John English should be nominated some
time for a SigAda award for his JEWL contribution.

Richard Riehle