From: tmoran@bix.com
Subject: Re: Nontrivial examples of C interface with Ada
Date: 2000/05/25
Date: 2000-05-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> > blocking sockets, with asynchrony being provided by suitable Ada tasking.
>
> Ugh! That's exactly the kind of heavy solution to a simple problem that
  If it's good enough for Java or Windows CE ....  ;)

  Are we thinking about the same thing for "non-blocking sockets"?  I'm
talking about the kind (in Windows) where you get an "interrupt" (well, a
message in the Windows message loop, ie, good old Windows 3.1's version of
multitasking) when data arrives, or the socket disconnects, etc.  If you
just mean something like "read data, and let me do occasional status tests
when convenient to see when it's present and my program can process the
data", you don't need extra tasks for that.  You just use what I would
call a blocking socket, and interrogate status to see if there's data
available to read.

> But for that escape hatch to be of any use, you need thin Ada bindings!
 Well, clearly, thick bindings must be built on top of thin ones.  Nobody
has suggested a way to make a thick binding without having a thin one
underneath.