From: Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Package Question [Newbie] (in C++ terms)
Date: 6 Jul 2001 05:59:53 -0500
Date: 2001-07-06T05:59:53-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <ssoakt067vi6drpdjatvp23qjqm94a7gak@4ax.com>, JM <jmillard1@homey_remove_y.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still very green wrt to Ada but after looking at few tutorials a
> have a couple of quick questions/observations. My background is C++ so
> I'm grasping for commonalities.

In general, you are ill-served to compare these two languages while
trying to learn one of them.  It is better if you learn the second
language without reference to the first.  When you have become
proficient in the second, you may choose to make comparisons with
the first (or not).

> 1. It  looks as though basically the package is a class?

No, packages are independent of classes (but not vice versa).  Try
learning a bit about packages from a non-object-oriented viewpoint,
and when you have that down add object orientation to the mix.

> 2.  And from a C++ point of view the package procedures are static
> functions that operate on references to the package? So basically
> 'this' doesn't exist?

You will do better in this newsgroup (and learning Ada in general)
to pose questions in absolute terms rather than in terms of C++.

If you are still burning with curiousity, a page called:

	The C++ To Ada Translation Page

is among those listed at:

	http://www.adapower.com/articles/

I have great respect for the author of the page, but I don't give
the direct URL, because at this point if there is one URL you need
to keep in mind it is the AdaPower site.