From: "Steve" <nospam_steved94@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: OS in Ada, what about the compiler?
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:43:44 -0700
Date: 2007-10-08T18:43:44-07:00	[thread overview]

"Lucretia" <lucretia9@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1191880545.979964.152370@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about working on an OS but writing it in Ada,
> wanted to do it for a while and have in the past written a few hello
> world style kernels for different platforms; these basically used the
> "pragma No_Run_Time;" in the source.
>
> But, say I wanted a stripped down runtime, no tasking, just be able
> use things like attributes, tagged types, overloading, etc. What
> exactly would I have to do to GNAT to get this far?

I don't know enough about the compiler to answer directly, but the folks
that put together AVA-Ada, which is GNAT targeting the 8 bit AVR
microcontrollers have produced a stripped down runtime for that target.  I
don't know exactly what features are supported, but it might be useful to
see how they adapted GNAT for that target.

http://avr-ada.sourceforge.net/

There is some documetation here:

http://www.iuma.ulpgc.es/users/jmiranda/gnat-rts/index.htm

on the GNU Ada runtime.  You might be able to figure out how the compiler
uses the run-time and implement your own non-posix runtime in its place.

I hope this helps,

Steve
(The Duck)