* NEED Float to ASCII Conversion function
@ 1995-04-05  0:00 Rodney Moore
From: Rodney Moore @ 1995-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have a good float to ascii conversion routine?
                                 Thanks in advance.

* Re: NEED Float to ASCII Conversion function
@ 1995-04-06  0:00 ` Stephen A. Leake
       [not found] ` <3m50cu$6r2@sarge.hq.Verdix.COM>
From: Stephen A. Leake @ 1995-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

package My_Float_IO is new Text_IO.Float_IO (MY_FLOAT);

A_Float : MY_FLOAT := 2.3;
A_String : STRING (1 .. 32);	-- must be big enough

My_Float_IO.Put (To => A_String, Item => A_Float);

- Stephe
--
Stephen Leake, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
email: Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov

* Re: NEED Float to ASCII Conversion function
@ 1995-04-06  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
       [not found] ` <3m50cu$6r2@sarge.hq.Verdix.COM>
From: Tucker Taft @ 1995-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodney Moore (HDTJ44A@prodigy.com) wrote:

: Does anyone have a good float to ascii conversion routine?
:                                  Thanks in advance.

Have you tried Text_IO.Float_IO.Put?   There is a version of it
that produces the result in a String rather than on a file.
In Ada 95, you can also just use Float'Image.

-Tucker Taft   stt@inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.

* Re: NEED Float to ASCII Conversion function
       [not found]       ` <dewar.798172536@gnat>
@ 1995-04-19  0:00         ` Gene Ouye
       [not found]           ` <dewar.798260131@gnat>
From: Gene Ouye @ 1995-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>I trust Gene that you know that Ada 95 provides this function in
>convenient form ( the Image function can be used for Float in Ada 95,
>but not in Ada 83)

YUP!!  It made me very happy, too!  Now we have it for ALL scalar
types (not just the discrete types)  8-)

But, like I said, I figured, (perhaps incorrectly) that the inquirer
was either doing a simple class exercise, or had recently discovered
that in Ada83 the 'Image attribute only worked on discrete types.  So,
the Ada95 solution probably wouldn't help much (hmm, are we talking
Ada83 or Ada95 when someone poses a question... haven't I seen that
thread before?  ;-)

Now if only the 'Image attribute let me give it all the parameters
that were in the Float_Io.Put procedure... then I'd really be happy.
                                                      ;-)

--
Gene Ouye <geneo@rational.com>

@ 1995-04-22  0:00             ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1995-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <dewar.798260131@gnat> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
> I was thinking of adding the extra parameters to the 'Img attribute of
> GNAT (it's ours so we can do what we like with it).
> 'Img is like 'Image except it can be applied to an object:
>   PUT ("N = " & N'Img);
> it also doesn't output the silly blank before positive numbers

Unfortunately, it does include the silly blank.

Yes, I've complained to gnat-report.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith)  kst@thomsoft.com (kst@alsys.com still works)
TeleSoft^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsys^H^H^H^H^H Thomson Software Products