* Re: Extension to with Child Units
       [not found]     ` <dewar.798232804@gnat>
@ 1995-04-19  0:00       ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1995-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.798232804@gnat>, Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>Bob Duff writes:
>
>i"Better yet, presumably "with Standard.**;" means to import everything in
>the program library."
>
>I hesitate to argue with the guy who wrote the book :-)

;-)

>but I thought that library units were compiled within standard, rather than
>being children of standard. I had thought of with Standard.** but dismissed
>it on this ground.

Every library unit (except Standard) is a child of something -- a root
library unit is a child of Standard.  See 10.1.1(10).  Root library
units are compiled exactly as children of Standard, not as units
physically nested within Standard (not that it makes much difference).

However, you can't say "with Standard.Foo;" because of 10.1.6(2).
So my joke about "with Standard.**;" doesn't really work.
(I hope no real programmer ever has to read section 10.1.6 -- it's a
bunch of legalistic mumbo-jumbo intented only for compiler writers.
That means you, Robert, have to read it -- :-( )

- Bob

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-04-19  0:00 UTC | newest]