From: mjmeie@ss5.magec.com (Mike Meier)
Subject: Re: generic instantiation question ...
Date: 1995/04/19
Date: 1995-04-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Paul Hager (hagerp@cs.indiana.edu) wrote:
: Q:      Is machine code generated every time a generic is
:         instantiated?  In other words, does each "copy" of
:         the generic generate additional code?

If I remember correctly, our Alsys compiler actually has a compiler
switch which allows us to select whether separate copies are made
for each instantiation or a shared copy is used.  Of course,
you can't have it one way for some generics and another way for
others, but that seems a reasonable limitation when you think of all
the implementation trade-offs.  I expect that other compilers have
similar capabilities.

Mike Meier
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company