From: wemagor@fmsa.cca.rockwell.com (Wayne Magor)
Subject: Re: Float to Fixed conversions
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:29:07 GMT
Date: 1995-03-20T21:29:07+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <D5n06v.D8F@inmet.camb.inmet.com>, stt@henning.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft) writes:

>Conversions between (ordinary) fixed and float can either truncate or round.
>The 'Machine_Rounds attribute of the *target* type "should" tell you
>which one happens, but that attribute is mostly oriented toward operations
>within a type, not conversions between types.  Have you checked
>the 'Machine_Rounds attribute of type Fix?

Thanks to you and Robert for your advice on this question.  I should have
stated that I am using Ada 83, and I also should have been more clear about
the type used for the attributes:

                         Fix'Machine_Rounds    Rounds the conversion
     DEC Vax Ada 83            FALSE                    No
     DEC Alpha Ada 83          TRUE                     Yes
     Rational Sun Ada 83       FALSE                    Yes

The use of the value of Fix'Machine_Rounds to decide if an adjustment
should be made before the conversion is apparently not adequate to
guarantee that rounding is always performed.  It seems the user must
look at the value after the conversion to determine if the machine
performed rounding.  This is unfortunately inconvenient and slow.

Wayne.