* Seeking RS232/422 Implementations/Help
@ 1995-03-10 19:36 Hartsough Michael J.
From: Hartsough Michael J. @ 1995-03-10 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to implement interfaces to RS232, RS422, and 1553B buses (in Ada).

I have a lot of Ada experience, but no "device driver" (is that what they're
called?) experience.

I surfed the web all morning in an unsuccessful attempt to locate an existing
Ada implementation that I could download.

Does anyone out there in Ada-land know if such a beast exists?

I'll settle for decent references (anything really, like, are there any
IEEE, ANSI, or ISO standards describing the RS protocols?).

Thanks,
	Michael

* Re: Seeking RS232/422 Implementations/Help
@ 1995-03-13 12:59 ` Mike Meier
From: Mike Meier @ 1995-03-13 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hartsough Michael J. (hartsoug@ss22.dsd.northrop.com) wrote:
: I need to implement interfaces to RS232, RS422, and 1553B buses (in Ada).

Device drivers are heavily dependent on:
  - The hardware device being used (register structures and automated
    capabilities vary greatly)
  - The hardware environment (influences decision on polled vs.
    interrupt driven)
  - The protocol (little variation for RS232/422, but varies greatly
    for 1553B (e.g., various schemes for single BC, multiple BCs)
  - Other nuances

One set of software cannot be reused without knowing many of these
details.  Even with a simple RS-232 interface I've had to rewrite
completely when going from a Motorola to an Intel device.

Perhaps you can specify more so that we can think about helping...

* Re: Seeking RS232/422 Implementations/Help
@ 1995-03-14  2:17 ` William Loftus
From: William Loftus @ 1995-03-14  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

hartsoug@ss22.dsd.northrop.com (Hartsough Michael J.) wrote:

> I need to implement interfaces to RS232, RS422, and 1553B buses (in Ada).
>
> I have a lot of Ada experience, but no "device driver" (is that what they're
> called?) experience.
>
> I surfed the web all morning in an unsuccessful attempt to locate an existing
> Ada implementation that I could download.
>
> Does anyone out there in Ada-land know if such a beast exists?
>
> I'll settle for decent references (anything really, like, are there any
> IEEE, ANSI, or ISO standards describing the RS protocols?).
>
> Thanks,
> 	Michael

You can find the 1553 on sw-eng.falls-church.va.us in the atip
directories.