From: mjmeie@ss5.magec.com (Mike Meier)
Subject: Re: Seeking RS232/422 Implementations/Help
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 12:59:55 GMT
Date: 1995-03-13T12:59:55+00:00	[thread overview]

Hartsough Michael J. (hartsoug@ss22.dsd.northrop.com) wrote:
: I need to implement interfaces to RS232, RS422, and 1553B buses (in Ada).

Device drivers are heavily dependent on:
  - The hardware device being used (register structures and automated
    capabilities vary greatly)
  - The hardware environment (influences decision on polled vs.
    interrupt driven)
  - The protocol (little variation for RS232/422, but varies greatly
    for 1553B (e.g., various schemes for single BC, multiple BCs)
  - Other nuances

One set of software cannot be reused without knowing many of these
details.  Even with a simple RS-232 interface I've had to rewrite
completely when going from a Motorola to an Intel device.

Perhaps you can specify more so that we can think about helping...