From: srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian)
Subject: Is the Army beginning its switch to C++  ?????
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 16:11:14 GMT
Date: 1995-02-28T16:11:14+00:00	[thread overview]

    Is the Army beginning its switch over to C++?  In the February 1995
issue of Application Development Trends, pg 15, the following item appeared:

	"The U.S. Army selected CSDC/Ontos system from Ontos Inc.,
	Burlington, MA, for its new data access and decision-support
	information system designed to streamline equipment maintenance
	procedures.  Estimated to save $4.4 million in the first year
	of a three-year project, the new system was developed by
	Computer Systems Development, Chantilly, VA, based on Ontos'
	component object technology".

With savings like that, can the rest of the Army be far behind?  I wonder
if this is some economic experiment Emmett Paige ordered to test out the
it-doesn't-conflict-with-the-Ada-Mandate COTS policy that opens up all of
the DoD to C++ products like Ontos' object oriented databases?  I wish I
could have sat in on the Ada Summit session where they talked about this
issue.

What percentage of the DoD is still using Ada???????????????

Greg Aharonian