From: Herndon Elliott <HElliott@LOSAT.REDSTONE.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Windows Virtual Memory Management?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 08:28:00 CDT
Date: 1994-10-25T08:28:00-05:00	[thread overview]

        Microsoft came out with a simple but very effective tool in their
"Windows Resource Kit" called "sysmeter.exe".  Sysmeter is a simple icon
which tracks the user memory, graphical device interface memory and main
memory currently in use.  It displays this in three bar graphs.  If you have
ever wondered whats going awry in Windows, this little tool will explain it
and support what Mr. Beckwith stated in his post.  I can run WordPerfect,
for instance, and the GDI memory will drop down into the yellow.  When I
exit WordPerfect, the GDI memory will not return to the level prior to
running WP.  Other applications do this as well.  The worst case is when an
application crashes - the memory that it was using is lost to the system and
the only way I know to get it back is to restart Windows.

Windows 3.1 is a toy, but a very pervasive one.  Perhaps MS will fix some of
this stuff in Chicago, I mean Windows 94, er uh I mean Windows 95 or NT or
Windows for Workgroups or DOS 17.3 or...

Thanks,
Doc Elliott
LOSAT Computer Engineer
INTERNET:  helliott@losat.redstone.army.mil
205-842-8086
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not
constitute an official government position, unless
specifically stated as such.