From: F.Zwarts@KVI.NL ("Fred Zwarts, KVI, Groningen, NL.")
Subject: Interpretation of LRM 13.10.1
Date: 23 Feb 90 15:48:00 GMT	[thread overview]

Hello all,

I am rather new to Ada and I am not quite sure that this is the right place to
ask, but I do not know a better place.

I am uncertain about the interpretation of LRM 13.10.1(8) on the
UNCHECKED_DEALLOCATION procedure, where I read:

"If X designates a task object, the call FREE(X) has no effect on the task
...".

My question is: What means "no effect"?
Suppose X designates a terminated task, see LRM 9.4(6-10).
Can FREE(X) be used to reclaim memory held by such a terminated task, like a
task control block? Does the LRM allow such an interpretation?

If this interpretation is not allowed, I can imagin a case in which one runs
out of memory because of a large amount of terminated tasks. If always at least
one such task is running, it is not possible to leave the block in which the
declaration of X's type was elaborated LRM 9.4(6), which could otherwise be a
way to reclaim memory.

Fred Zwarts                             E-mail:         INFOADA@KVI.nl
Kernfysisch Versneller Instituut
9747 AA  Groningen