From: mjmeie@ss5.magec.com (Mike Meier)
Subject: Re: 2167A, 498, commercial and mil standards...
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 18:24:04 GMT
Date: 1995-01-28T18:24:04+00:00	[thread overview]

Doc Elliott (helliott@losat.redstone.army.mil) wrote:
: Based on recent postings here in cla, there is a lot of uncertainty in
: the area of Military, DoD, etc standards and their application.  I
: suspect that there are also a lot of unanaswered questions on both sides
: of the fence regarding various applicable commercial standards.  Is there
: a newsgroup which addresses this?  Should there be?  Is there a need out
: there for an information source where you could ask questions like "What
: standards are there which apply to RF message formats?" as well as
: questions like "In paragraph X.Y.Z of MIL-STD-498, what is the general
: interpretation of the term 'procedure'?"  Wouldn't it be useful to have a
: readily available FAQ or WWW host that listed sources (electronic and
: otherwise) for all sorts of standards, specs, and the email addresses of
: the greybeards involved in their development?

: Any comments?  Telling me to shut up and crawl back under my rock is a
: perfectly acceptable comment...

I don't think we'll have to involve crawling or rocks (didn't you have those
in basic training?).  I think it's a great idea.  In fact, I was so certain
that someone -must- have done it already that I spent an hour last week with
web worms trying to find things like "military standard" or "mil-std".  And,
to go beyond that to include a newgroup to address such questions might be
helpful even in these supposedly twilight hours of mil standards.

Of course, getting MIL-STD-498 available on the web would be a starting point
for any web host since everyone's looking for it and no one can find it
unless they happened to catch the message last week identifying the Navy ftp
site.  And, if you want to be even more helpful, you could provide it in a
more portable form than WordPerfect (personally, I'd like Word 5.0 for the
Mac).

Is this something that redstone will allow you to do at your site?  If not,
are there some other takers?

  Mike Meier
  AFATDS Software Engineering
  Magnavox Electronic Systems Company