* Adjust, Finalize
@ 1995-01-18 22:19 Scott Leschke
From: Scott Leschke @ 1995-01-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just as a check, are the procedures Adjust and Finalize implicitly protected
against simultanious invocation by multiple tasks ?  I expect not but I can
see that there could be some situations where having these two operations be
atomic would be beneficial.  I expect that those cases are handled
independently but since I didn't see anything in the LRM specifically
addressing this I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

As always, thanks in advance,

Scott Leschke
Motorola Inc.
--
Scott Leschke

* Re: Adjust, Finalize
@ 1995-01-19 23:14 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1995-01-19 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <leschkes.790467588@ferret>,
Scott Leschke <leschkes@ferret.cig.mot.com> wrote:
>Just as a check, are the procedures Adjust and Finalize implicitly protected
>against simultanious invocation by multiple tasks ?

No.  If you want that, you have to program it yourself using protected
types.

However, these operations *are* protected from abort.  (Actually, the
entire assignment is protected, and the Initialize and Finalize
operations are protected.)  This is true of any type that is controlled,
or has any controlled subcomponents.  It is not true of plain old types,
of course -- protected assignment of, say, integers from abort would be
too inefficient.

- Bob