From: chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton)
Subject: Re: How Ada is failing socially
Date: 25 Jun 91 00:33:44 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.91Jun24191603@world.std.com>, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

>      If Ada is so great, and the US government is spending so many billions
> on Ada software development, why is the marketplace for Ada tools and
> libraries non-existent?
>      I just received in the mail today the Summer '91 issue of "The Connection"
> a directory of software development tools and products distributed by
> "Programmers Connection (North Canton, OH) 800-336-1166)". They distribute
> pretty much any programming tool for PCs, Suns, Macs and Vaxes, though most of
> their products are for PCs.
>      The bulk of their products are language compilers, language tools and
> language libraries. In the Summer '91 issue, I made the following rough count
> of products by major languages:

[Specious arguments, stuff deleted]

If you've been around the industry for a while, you'll remember the history
of the Programmer's Connection. They started out life as a source for C-related
products for PC users and really haven't changed. Basing your entire argument
on the catalog from one vendor dedicated to PC-based C programmers is not
very convincing.

If you are interested, I can send you a list of over 200 vendors of Ada compilers
and related design and development tools. See how many C performance analyzers
you find in that list.

The (probable) reason why you don't see many small companies selling Ada-related
tools to large aerospace companies is that most small (PC-oriented) companies don't
understand the development problems facing these large companies and are unable
to target their products to them. There ARE several small firms in the CASE
and engineering tool arena that successfully compete in the verticle aerospace
market. It IS interesting to note how many of the employees of these "small"
companies once worked for the large ones (and thus understand the problem)...

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:  cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
                              UUCP:      ...!buster!brain!chuck
"Your silly quote here."      AppleLink: D1683       MacNet: shotton