From: jgv@swl.msd.ray.com (John Volan)
Subject: Re: Superconducting Ada compilers ?
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 15:01:27 GMT
Date: 1994-12-28T15:01:27+00:00	[thread overview]

srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

[snip]

>	Laboratory to develop and evaluate cyro-cooled SPARC
                                           ^^^^
[snip]

>companies, which have access to government funds for applied cyrogenics) would
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^

For those of you who might be a bit confused at this point by what
Greg is talking about, let me see if I can clarify it: "Cyrogenics" is
the art of jealously griping about the fabulous successes of Cyrus I
(?-529 B.C.), the ancient king of the Medes and Persians who founded
the Persian Empire.

This is not to be confused with "cryogenics", the science that deals
with the production of very low temperatures and their effects on the
properties of matter.  [Webster's New World Dictionary]

This is also not to be confused with "cyranogenics", the art of
overcoming one's own personal failures (such as losing the woman you
love to a dumber but handsomer man because your large, ugly nose makes
you too self-conscious to show her what a great poet you are; or such
as failing to make big bucks in the 1980's because the market just
wasn't ready for your ideas and was prejudiced against you because it
perceived you as being in a DoD niche) by steadfastly refusing to
whine about your misfortunes, or blame anybody else for them, or put
down everybody else's good fortune; but instead, through perseverence,
getting over previous setbacks and winning out in the end (such as
winning back the woman you love by revealing that it was really you
behind the bushes feeding pretty-boy his lines; or such as winning a
bigger piece of the pie in the 1990's by fighting the "DoD-niche"
propaganda and demonstrating that you really do have a superior
solution just when the market is getting dissatisfied with what's
available and is ripe for something better.)

Just thought I'd lighten things up a little bit in this season of
hope and good will ... :-)

John Volan

 Me : Person :=
   (Name => "John G. Volan",  E_Mail_Address => "jgv@swl.msd.ray.com",
    Company => "Raytheon",    Affiliation => "Enthusiastic member of Team-Ada!",
    Favorite_Slogan => "Ada95: The World's *FIRST* International-Standard OOPL",
    Humorous_Disclaimer =>
      "These opinions are undefined by my employer, so using them would be "  &
      "totally erroneous ... or would that be a bounded error? :-) ");