* Windows programming
@ 1994-12-11 13:49 curtis4
From: curtis4 @ 1994-12-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to use Alsys Active Ada compiler for Windows but I have never
written Windows programs before.  What I would like to know is if anybody
could give me some advice as to where to start or perhaps somebody could
maybe send me some example code of simple programs written for windows in Ada

Thanx

* Re: Windows programming
@ 1994-12-12 15:39 ` Jon Jensen
From: Jon Jensen @ 1994-12-12 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am trying to use Alsys Active Ada compiler for Windows but I have never
> written Windows programs before.  What I would like to know is if anybody
> could give me some advice as to where to start or perhaps somebody could
> maybe send me some example code of simple programs written for windows in Ada
>
> Thanx

I would recommend getting Charles Petzold's Programming Windows 3.1
from Microsoft Press.  While this book is oriented to C
programming it has been the first book many Windows programmers
have used.   The Petzold book won't teach you how to program Windows
in Ada but it will give you a broad understanding of Windows and
the Windows API that can be applied across languages.

Jon Jensen
AdaSAGE Development Team Member
Idaho National Engineering Laboratory

* Re: Windows programming
@ 1994-12-13 14:27   ` bryan ray
From: bryan ray @ 1994-12-13 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have been using the Meridian Ada compiler for windows and have had a good deal of success.  The program structure is very much like its "C" counterpart.  My guess is that Alsys would provide you with example programs to follow.  I also agree with Jon Jensen to find a good book on programming in windows.  I am using "Programming in Windows 3.1" by Farrell & Connally.  These are structured to C, but the structure is very similar in Ada.

Bryan Ray