* Ada development under OS/2
@ 1994-11-23 21:11 "Ian Sharpe"
From: "Ian Sharpe" @ 1994-11-23 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone done any Ada development under OS/2 using a validated compiler (ie
not GNAT)? Actually the only one listed at AJPO is the Alsys one, so I
guess this really is "Has anyone used the Alsys Ada compiler?".

How easy is it to access all of the things that C/C++ folks take for
granted (system calls, SOM, DLLs etc)?

* Re: Ada development under OS/2
@ 1994-11-30  7:16 ` "Ian Sharpe"
From: "Ian Sharpe" @ 1994-11-30  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anyone done any Ada development under OS/2 using a validated compiler
> (ie not GNAT)? Actually the only one listed at AJPO is the Alsys one,
> so I guess this really is "Has anyone used the Alsys Ada compiler?".
>
> How easy is it to access all of the things that C/C++ folks take for
> granted (system calls, SOM, DLLs etc)?

To answer my own question:

Alsys UK have said that this product is not being actively developed. I
*hope* this is a misunderstanding, but the lack of responses tends to
suggest that this might be a good commercial decision.

* Re: Ada development under OS/2
@ 1994-11-30 15:06   ` Jarmo Ahonen
From: Jarmo Ahonen @ 1994-11-30 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <D02K87.pJ@cix.compulink.co.uk>, isharpe@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Ian Sharpe") writes:
>> Anyone done any Ada development under OS/2 using a validated compiler
>> (ie not GNAT)? Actually the only one listed at AJPO is the Alsys one,
>> so I guess this really is "Has anyone used the Alsys Ada compiler?".
>>
>> How easy is it to access all of the things that C/C++ folks take for
>> granted (system calls, SOM, DLLs etc)?
>
>To answer my own question:
>
>Alsys UK have said that this product is not being actively developed. I
>*hope* this is a misunderstanding, but the lack of responses tends to
>suggest that this might be a good commercial decision.

Although Alsys Ada has some very good features for OS/2 (tasks as threads),
I decided not to buy Alsys AdaWorld for OS/2 (sp?) yet. I understood that they
might be getting a new release ready (or have done it already).

Jarmo J. Ahonen			        Computing Centre
Tel: +358 53 621 2516			Lappeenranta University of Technology
Fax: +358 53 621 2350			P.O.Box 20
Email: jarmo.ahonen@lut.fi		53851 Lappeenranta, Finland

* Re: Ada development under OS/2
@ 1994-12-02 21:01     ` Timothy Barton
From: Timothy Barton @ 1994-12-02 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have been using the Alsys Ada compiler for over a year.  We have developed
a real-time data acq. system which talks via TCP/IP to a Sun.  A group of
folks down the hall from me have used it to develop a PM application that
the USAF uses to monitor phone calls (you don't want to know any more about
that project :-)

The compiler comes with bindings to PM.  We wrote our own bindings to IBM's
TCP/IP.  The compiler works fine.  We have had a few very minor problems, but
the two projects mentioned are having no real problems.

Timothy J. Barton                         tim@trident.datasys.swri.edu
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI)       (210) 522-3540
San Antonio, Texas                  "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors"