* Published STARS paper on Fortran exception handling????
@ 1994-11-03  0:29 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1994-11-03  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

    When teaching Ada, there are few clear simple examples of some of the
complex features of Ada.  Recently I came across an ACM paper that could
be the basis of a good Ada example.

    The paper is titled "Implementing Complex Elementary Functions using
Exception Handling" and appeared in the June 1994 issue of ACM Transactions
on Mathematical Software, page 215-244.  From a numerical anlaysis point of
view it is a very nice paper, and clearly illustrates exceptions that arise
in numerical calculations and how to write code to anticipate and handle
them.  While the code in the paper is written in Fortran70 and Fortran90,
but can be easily converted to Ada (in fact, a good homework exercise).

    And as yet one more measurement of the mismanagement of Ada policies,
this Fortran-based exception handling paper was supported in part by the
STARS Program Office.  Would it kill the STARS program office to gently
suggest to the people that it funds that if they are going to publish
such things, that they try and include some Ada - especially in a paper
on exception handling?   Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada.
Easy to spell, easy to say, easy to write, easy to use.  DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Aharonian

* Re: Published STARS paper on Fortran exception
@ 1994-11-04 17:44 ` Brian R. Hanson
From: Brian R. Hanson @ 1994-11-04 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article 353@world.std.com, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:
>Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada. Ada.
>Easy to spell, easy to say, easy to write, easy to use.  DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

What a refreshingly positive statement.

Brian Hanson
brh@cray.com