From: stt@dsd.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft)
Subject: Re: Newbie Generic Reg Exp Pattern Matching Question
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 02:21:14 GMT
Date: 1994-10-05T02:21:14+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <EACHUS.94Oct4112939@spectre.mitre.org>,
Robert I. Eachus <eachus@spectre.mitre.org> wrote:

>In article <36p5vsINNcjt@edna.cc.swin.edu.au>
>944166@edna.swin.edu.au (Jimmy Fang) writes:
>
>	  33     with function "=" (  Left  : in ITEM;
>	  34                          Right : in ITEM) return Boolean;
>	  **
>       *****E equality parameters must be same limited type [LRM 6.7/4]
>	  **
>	  35
>
>    This certainly looks like a compiler bug.  It is illegal to
>explicitly declare an equality function for a private type, (except by
>using the "Goodenough" workaround), but as a generic subprogram
>parameter it is legitimate.

Sorry, I don't agree.  The compiler looks right.  The John Goodenough
"workaround" takes advantage of the fact that a formal limited type
can be instantiated with an actual non-limited type.  But the restriction
about "=" being defined only for limited types applies in generic
formal parts as well as outside.

>    First report the bug to your compiler vendor...

Don't bother.  The compiler is enforcing the Ada 83 rules.
By the way, in Ada 9X, there is no such limitation.

>					Robert I. Eachus

-Tucker Taft  stt@inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.