From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: How does one find an Ada job?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:55:14 GMT
Date: 2005-10-19T19:55:14+00:00	[thread overview]

Harald Korneliussen wrote:

> I'd like to work with Ada, too, but not for any price. I don't want to
> work in the arms industry. Are there any other major niches where Ada
> (or perhaps SPARC or Ravenscar profiles) are used?

Boeing and Airbus both use Ada for their commercial airliners' avionics SW.
Raytheon uses Ada for air traffic control SW.

SPARC is a processor; I presume you mean SPARK.

As for arms, they're going to exist whether you work on them or not, and they're
going to be controlled by SW. So the important thing, it seems to me, is how
reliable that SW is. Do you want to be involved in ensuring the safety of
yourself and those you care about, or are you willing to leave that to someone else?

> So, is it true that for the things Ravenscar are used for, there are no
> good alternatives?

Concurrency in Java is quite low level and error prone, including the RTSJ. Ada
is much better, and Ravenscar better still, but for the most critical RT SW, you
might want to look at RavenSPARK.

Unfortunately, the lack of good alternatives rarely stops people from using poor
alternatives.

--
Jeff Carter
"Sons of a silly person."