From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Elaboration worries
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:06:02 -0500
Date: 2006-06-22T18:06:02-05:00	[thread overview]

"Samuel Tardieu" <sam@rfc1149.net> wrote in message
news:87odwmcdku.fsf@willow.rfc1149.net...

> Randy> try to avoid doing anything at elaboration time other than
> Randy> use language-defined packages;
>
> There are cases where this is quite impractical; for example, when
> using the Ravenscar profile, tasks cannot be created dynamically and
> will be started at elaboration time. Using a "start" protected object
> can be used as a workaround to limit their execution until after the
> main program has been launched.

Which is why I said "try to avoid", not just "avoid". It's hard to avoid
library-level generic instantiations, for instance. OTOH, I was under the
impression that most Ravenscar programs used what is now known as the
"Concurrent" elaboration policy (see H.6 in the Ada 2005 RM). That prevents
tasks from being started until elaboration of library units is finished. So
the problem is less that you have to do things at elaboration time in
Ravenscar, and more that Ravenscar is incompatible with the traditional Ada
elaboration model.

                               Randy.