* Help!
@ 2003-02-24 11:44 Paul Gregory
From: Paul Gregory @ 2003-02-24 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having a few problems with my school ADA project.

I have to write a program which translates 10 English words to French
but when it Translates a sentence it does it in upper case instead of a
capital letter for the first letter and lower case for the rest.

Any ideas how I could get round this ?

PG

* Re: Help! ( University of Brighton homework problem )
@ 2003-02-24 13:07 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-02-24 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3E5A05A2.3F1379EC@bton.ac.uk>, Paul Gregory <pg16@bton.ac.uk> writes:
> I'm having a few problems with my school ADA project.
>
> I have to write a program which translates 10 English words to French
> but when it Translates a sentence it does it in upper case instead of a
> capital letter for the first letter and lower case for the rest.
>
> Any ideas how I could get round this ?

If I were doing it, I would make a separate phase to apply the
capitalization rules for the output language.  You might want
to do the same thing for punctuation, since if you later change
the program to have the output language be Spanish, I think the
punctuation rules are different for questions.

* Re: Help!
@ 2003-02-24 13:08 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-24 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Gregory wrote:
> I'm having a few problems with my school ADA project.
>
> I have to write a program which translates 10 English words to French
> but when it Translates a sentence it does it in upper case instead of a
> capital letter for the first letter and lower case for the rest.
>
> Any ideas how I could get round this ?

Is this the assignment or is it only a part of it?

with Ada.Characters.Handling;
use Ada.Characters.Handling;

To_Lower (Your_String (Your_String'First + 1 .. Your_String'Last);

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: Help!
@ 2003-02-24 13:10   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-24 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> with Ada.Characters.Handling;
> use Ada.Characters.Handling;
>
> To_Lower (Your_String (Your_String'First + 1 .. Your_String'Last);

Oops