* Paper on 9x enhancements
@ 1993-09-20  6:12 Ad-cad
From: Ad-cad @ 1993-09-20  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a paper describing the essential enhencements of Ada9x in
respect to Ada 83. I am not looking for a whole manual or tutorial for Ada
since I'm fluent in Ada 83. Is there such a thing publicly available ?
(I could not find one in the 9x program office FTP directories).

* Re: Paper on 9x enhancements
@ 1993-09-20 13:26 Raymond Blaak
From: Raymond Blaak @ 1993-09-20 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

adcad@zeus.datasrv.co.il (Ad-cad) writes:

>I'm looking for a paper describing the essential enhencements of Ada9x in
>respect to Ada 83. I am not looking for a whole manual or tutorial for Ada
>since I'm fluent in Ada 83. Is there such a thing publicly available ?
>(I could not find one in the 9x program office FTP directories).

There is an Ada 9X project report titled: "Introducing Ada 9X", dated
february, 1993, that gives exactly what you want.

I got it because I signed up for it the last time I was at Tri-Ada.

I only have a paper version, but there must be an on-line version somewhere.

Does anyone know?

Ray
blaak@csri.toronto.edu

* Re: Paper on 9x enhancements
@ 1993-09-20 14:43 Bill Woodward
From: Bill Woodward @ 1993-09-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Sep20.092653.9175@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> blaak@csri.toronto.e
du (Raymond Blaak) writes:
>adcad@zeus.datasrv.co.il (Ad-cad) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a paper describing the essential enhencements of Ada9x in
>>respect to Ada 83. I am not looking for a whole manual or tutorial for Ada
>>since I'm fluent in Ada 83. Is there such a thing publicly available ?
>>(I could not find one in the 9x program office FTP directories).
>
>There is an Ada 9X project report titled: "Introducing Ada 9X", dated
>february, 1993, that gives exactly what you want.
>
>I got it because I signed up for it the last time I was at Tri-Ada.
>
>I only have a paper version, but there must be an on-line version somewhere.
>
>Does anyone know?

Try anonymous ftp from ajpo.sei.cmu.edu. Look in the directory:

	public/ada9x/ada9x.reports
for the following files:

*** INTRODUCING Ada 9X ***

intro-Feb93.9x		- Ada 9X Project Report, Introducing Ada 9X,
intro-Feb93.tar.Z	  February 1993

The report comes in several formats, check the README file in above
directory for more info.

Bill Woodward				Florida Institute of Technology
woodward@se.fit.edu			Melbourne, FLORIDA

Plan:
with Experience;
use Experience;
procedure Graduate_Studies(Teachings : IN Faculty_Knowledge;
                           Projects, Tests, Thesis : OUT Requirements) is .....
.

* Re: Paper on 9x enhancements
@ 1993-09-20 15:47 Stefan Petersen
From: Stefan Petersen @ 1993-09-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   >I'm looking for a paper describing the essential enhencements of Ada9x in
>   >respect to Ada 83. I am not looking for a whole manual or tutorial for Ada
>   >since I'm fluent in Ada 83. Is there such a thing publicly available ?
>   >(I could not find one in the 9x program office FTP directories)
>
>   There is an Ada 9X project report titled: "Introducing Ada 9X", dated
>   february, 1993, that gives exactly what you want.
>
>   I got it because I signed up for it the last time I was at Tri-Ada.
>
>   I only have a paper version, but there must be an on-line version somewhere
.

>   Does anyone know?

You should look where you always should look in the first place when
you want documentation on an Ada specific thing ;-)
ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

Please everyone. Write this up, ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

In /public/ada9x/ada9x.reports I found this README (not complete):
----------
This file:  ajpo.sei.cmu.edu: /public/ada9x/ada9x.reports/README

*** INTRODUCING Ada 9X ***

intro-Feb93.9x		- Ada 9X Project Report, Introducing Ada 9X,
intro-Feb93.tar.Z	  February 1993

intro-9x.sit		- Stuffit archive for Mac, Microsoft Word format
intro-wd.exe		- self-extracting LHA archive for DOS,
			  Microsoft Word format
intro-wp.exe		- self-extracting LHA archive for DOS,
			  WordPerfect format

[RTF can be imported by a variety of programs on several platforms
including Macs, PCs and NeXTs.  It may need some adjustments after
importing, depending on available fonts, etc.]

intro-rtf.tar.Z		- Microsoft Rich Text Format (RTF), chapters Unix
			  tar'd and compressed
intro-rtf.tar.z		- Microsoft Rich Text Format (RTF), chapters Unix
			  tar'd, and compressed with GNU standard compress
			  program, gzip.  (gzip is available from
			  prep.ai.mit.edu and other sites.)

... missing text ...

9x-guide.txt		- How to Program in Ada 9X, Using Ada 83 by
9x-guide.ps		  Dr. Erhard Ploedereder, Chairman of the Ada 9X
			  Distinguished Reviewers (paper)

The Ada 9X documents are also available electronically on the Ada 9X
BBS at 800/Ada9X25 or 301/459-8939.

For information on how to obtain hard copies of these or any other Ada
9X Project Reports, contact the Ada Information Clearinghouse at
800/AdaIC-11 or 703/685-1477.
-----------------

By the way, where is the FAQ?? Shouldn`t it be posted more often than what
is done??  Even though it`s not updated, I think it should be
posted at least.

>   Ray
>   blaak@csri.toronto.edu

Stefan Petersen (e92_spe@elixir.e.kth.se)

* Re: Paper on 9x enhancements
@ 1993-09-21 14:09 agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!s
From: agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!s @ 1993-09-21 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

du (Raymond Blaak) writes:
>adcad@zeus.datasrv.co.il (Ad-cad) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a paper describing the essential enhencements of Ada9x in
>>respect to Ada 83. I am not looking for a whole manual or tutorial for Ada
>>since I'm fluent in Ada 83. Is there such a thing publicly available ?
>>(I could not find one in the 9x program office FTP directories).
>
>There is an Ada 9X project report titled: "Introducing Ada 9X", dated
>february, 1993, that gives exactly what you want.
>
>I got it because I signed up for it the last time I was at Tri-Ada.
>
>I only have a paper version, but there must be an on-line version somewhere.

I still have some reprints which could be sent e.g. within
Germany at paper price. 69 DinA4 pages.
Send an envelop with valid stamp and DM5.-, size DinA4, weight 195 gramms.
I never sent one, therefore I dont know the postage price.

Dr.-Ing. Peter Hermann
Institut fuer Computeranwendungen
Pfaffenwaldring 27 (20c)
D-70569 Stuttgart

Tel.: 0711-685-3611    fax -3758

* Re: Paper on 9x enhancements
@ 1993-09-22  3:31 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-09-22  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

du (Raymond Blaak) writes:
>adcad@zeus.datasrv.co.il (Ad-cad) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a paper describing the essential enhencements of Ada9x in
>>respect to Ada 83. I am not looking for a whole manual or tutorial for Ada
>>since I'm fluent in Ada 83. Is there such a thing publicly available ?
>>(I could not find one in the 9x program office FTP directories).
>
>There is an Ada 9X project report titled: "Introducing Ada 9X", dated
>february, 1993, that gives exactly what you want.
>
>I got it because I signed up for it the last time I was at Tri-Ada.
>
>I only have a paper version, but there must be an on-line version somewhere.
>
>Does anyone know?

Yep. You can get this from ajpo.sei.cmu.edu. The directory is
public/ada9x/ada9x.reports. It's called intro-9x; it's available in
ASCII, PostScript, and several wordprocessor formats.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5253 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
"We just changed our CONFIG.SYS, then pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL. It was easy."
-- Alexandre Giglavyi, director Lyceum of Information Technologies, Moscow.

* Re: Paper on 9x enhancements
@ 1993-09-24 13:26 cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!linus
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!linus @ 1993-09-24 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is in the PAL as well.  Note that a hypertext version is included.
Rick

Public Ada Library (PAL) Release Notice
Release of: Intro to Ada 9X by Barnes
------------------------------
1. Taxonomy:
    DOCUMENTS
        ADA 9X INTRODUCTION
            ASCII, POSTSCRIPT, ET AL VERSIONS
------------------------------
2. Author:
    John Barnes
------------------------------
3. Rights:
    Released to the public; distribution unlimited
------------------------------
4. Copyright:
    1993 Intermetrics, Inc.
------------------------------
5. Abstract:
"Introducing Ada 9X" is a product of the Ada 9X Project, dated Feb 1993.
It was written by John Barnes.  From the first chapter:

"This document provides a description of the main features of Ada 9X
and the rationale for the changes to Ada 83.  It follows the inspiration
of the rationale for Ada 83 by blending exposition with explanation.

"Chapter 2 highlights the main changes -- primarily the four key areas
outlined in Section 1.3.  The intent is to provide a technically
oriented management overview illustrating, with examples, the prime
benefits of Ada 9X with respect to Ada 83.

"By contrast, Chapter 3 provides an overview of the whole language in a
discursive style and introduces new terminology where appropriate.  For
the most part, this overview is equally applicable to both Ada 83 and to
Ada 9X.  Areas of enhanced functionality in Ada 9X are indicated thus
illustrating where change has occurred.

"Finally, Chapter 4 summarizes the incompatibilities thereby giving
guidance to existing Ada 83 programmers in order to smooth their
transition to Ada 9X."
------------------------------
6. Release Notice:
The original "Introducing Ada 9X" document was copyright 1993
Intermetrics, Inc.  Reprinting is permitted if accompanied by
this statement.
------------------------------
7. Directory Listing:

languages/ada/docs/intro9x: