* Source Control Utilities needed
@ 1993-09-07 14:26 MILLS,JOHN M.
From: MILLS,JOHN M. @ 1993-09-07 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi --
This is not strictly an Ada question, but I would like to get users'
experience with source-code control packages.  We are just finishing
a project for which the central computers have been a VAX/VMS DEC cluster,
and we used DEC's CMS (Code Management System) to control our libraries.
We were very happy with CMS' maintenance of reference libraries, and its
ability to reconstruct older revision levels of code when needed.  We were
less happy with its [understandable] focus on one-controller 'Czar' authority
over libraries, which seems more suited to a mature phase of the project
than to some earlier stages (Brooks' 'playpen' model), but we worked around
that by establishing a 'developmental CMS' for which all responsible staff
had password access.  May be heresy, but there were times it was our best
approach.  I'm convinced that source-code management server different
functions at different phases of a project.

Anyway, cutting to the chase .. We will now be working in Suns, and would
appreciate suggestions and experience for version-control or library-
management packages to consider.  It would be nice to be able to group
source, batch scripts, test code, assembly code, possibly object libraries,
documentation, ..., and access the most current examples simply.  Please
suggest products (PD or shareware preferred), and share your experience.

I would also like to identify PC and MAC-hosted packages for this general
function, and would appreciate suggestions of appropriate cross-postings
for this request.

I will summarize responses to me, and post, _however_, I go on vacation
next week, so I may miss some traffic from 9/14 to 10/4.

Hoping for some good comments,

--jmm--

--
John M. Mills, SRE; Georgia Tech/GTRI/TSDL, Atlanta, GA 30332
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm59

* Re: Source Control Utilities needed
@ 1993-09-07 21:25 Wes Groleau x1240 C73-8
From: Wes Groleau x1240 C73-8 @ 1993-09-07 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <111622@hydra.gatech.EDU> jm59@prism.gatech.EDU (MILLS,JOHN M.) writ
es:
>Anyway, cutting to the chase .. We will now be working in Suns, and would
>appreciate suggestions and experience for version-control or library-
>management packages to consider.  It would be nice to be able to group
>source, batch scripts, test code, assembly code, possibly object libraries,
>documentation, ..., and access the most current examples simply.  Please
>suggest products (PD or shareware preferred), and share your experience.

I would suggest at least a consideration of Razor.  E-mail razor-info@tower.com
for more info.  If that address bounces, I'll try to further investigate.  I am
not affiliated with tower concepts, but I have used the product.

There are also free items available from the FSF.  FTP to
wuarchive.wustl.edu and retrieve /mirrors/gnu/DESCRIPTIONS

Wes G.