* Mixed Ada PR results at upcoming Embedded Systems Conferene
@ 1993-08-30 16:44 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-08-30 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

   On October 5-8, 1993, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, there will
be held the Fifth Annual Embedded Systems Conference.  It is a popular
conference for the embedded world.

  And while there is some Ada representation there, once again it is not
very impressive or very consistent.

  There will be about 80 papers or lectures given: 20 will be included
much on C/C++ (those readily identifiable from the brochure, probably
more use C/C++), while 3 are on Ada, and 1 on comparing Ada and C++.
Given all of the money put into Ada embedded stuff (and CECOM once had
a nice set of reports on Ada and real time that has never been well
distributed), this is not an impressive showing.

   At the trade show, things are not much better.  There are about 90
booths at the show.  Of these, we have the following Ada connections,
good and bad:

good
	ALSYS - will be displaying Ada stuff as do their ads    +1
	AdaIC - will be displaying general Ada stuff            +1
        Tartan -  also consistent pushers of Ada                +1
        Huntsville Microsystems - have a product that supports
                 Ada, doesn't sell much and probably won't be
	         pushed, but at least it is something.          +.25

bad
        DDC-I - leading real time Ada company selling C++ operating
                system library?                                 -1
	Intermetrics Microsystems - will be selling C development
	        tools which they also advertise                 -1
	IBM - whatever they will have, it won't be Ada, because
              unlike what they tell the DoD, they tell everyone
	      else that C++ and Smalltalk are the way to go     -1
        Ready Systems - people somewhat identify these people
	      with Ada real time stuff, from their earlier work,
	      but people also know Ready got out of Ada because
	      there was no profit in it                         -.25

   The net effect?  This conference will do little to benefit Ada's
image.  People will see some of the Ada players pushing Ada, and see
other Ada players not pushing Ada, and therefore have one more reason
(after high product prices) to avoid considering Ada.  This is a public
relations mess for Ada.

    For those going to Tri-Ada, I bet a beer that there will be more
real time and embedded product booths at Tri-Ada than at the Embedded
Systems Conference.  One more way to differentiate between troughers
and market exploiters.
 Greg Aharonian                                      srctran@world.std.com
 Source Translation & Optimization                            617-489-3727
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Mixed Ada PR results at upcoming Embedded Systems Conferene
@ 1993-08-31 20:13 Jonathan Schilling
From: Jonathan Schilling @ 1993-08-31 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CCKztz.15o@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian)
 writes:
>   On October 5-8, 1993, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, there will
>be held the Fifth Annual Embedded Systems Conference.  It is a popular
>conference for the embedded world.
>
>  And while there is some Ada representation there, once again it is not
>very impressive or very consistent.

[...]

>   At the trade show, things are not much better.  There are about 90
>booths at the show.  Of these, we have the following Ada connections,
>good and bad:
>
>bad
>        DDC-I - leading real time Ada company selling C++ operating
>                system library?                                 -1

In fact, DDC-I will be marketing *both* Ada and C++ products at the
conference.  In fact, DDC-I has also been to the previous three
Embedded Systems Conferences, marketing *only* Ada products.

--
Jonathan Schilling
DDC-I, Inc.

* Re: Mixed Ada PR results at upcoming Embedded Systems Conferene
@ 1993-08-31 20:55 John Cobarruvias
From: John Cobarruvias @ 1993-08-31 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aharonian) writes:
>>   On October 5-8, 1993, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, there
will
>>be held the Fifth Annual Embedded Systems Conference.  It is a popular
>>conference for the embedded world.
>>
>>  And while there is some Ada representation there, once again it is not
>>very impressive or very consistent.
>
>[...]
>
>>   At the trade show, things are not much better.  There are about 90
>>booths at the show.  Of these, we have the following Ada connections,
>>good and bad:
>>
>>bad
>>        DDC-I - leading real time Ada company selling C++ operating
>>                system library?                                 -1

Uh.....whats so bad about this? Is it wrong to make money? And to market
and advertise what ever makes more money? Whats wrong with that? Is it
DDC-I's, or any other vendor, responsibibity to uphold, cherish, and
promote Ada? Or is it their responsibility to make money? Or Both? Or a
combination of both?

Or cherish, worship, and promote Ada for the good of the country, mom and
apple pie, and to save this country from the deficit evils, promote
commonality, blah blah, blah, blah; all while losing a load of money?
NOT!!!!!

Why should DDC-I, any other vendor, or any other person put up such a
galant and noble fight? Especially while Greg is around to do it for us.
Shoot, why lose money when Greg can do it just as well and by himself? :-)

Keep up the good work Greg!

>In fact, DDC-I will be marketing *both* Ada and C++ products at the
>conference.  In fact, DDC-I has also been to the previous three
>Embedded Systems Conferences, marketing *only* Ada products.
>
>--
>Jonathan Schilling
>DDC-I, Inc.
>uunet!ddciiny!jls

John R. Cobarruvias, Texas A&M Class of '78,
NASA Johnson Space Center Houston Tx.
(713)483-9357

"Your pain will be legendary" (Hellraiser I)
"And to think..................I hesitated" (Hellraiser II)
"These pins are killing me!" (Pinhead in Hellraiser IV)