* Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 16:52 Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-08-17 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am considering deploying a binary only application. I would prefer a posix based OS and I would prefer to keep Linux closed source free.

I am looking at the OpenIndiana project:
http://wiki.openindiana.org

the OI license allows linking with other licenses:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License

Currently there does not appear to be any Ada support.

If the OS looks right I might try to port an ada enabled  gcc over, currently their gcc does not have ada support.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks-Patrick

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 18:52 ` erlo
From: erlo @ 2012-08-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/17/2012 06:52 PM, Patrick wrote:

> I am considering deploying a binary only application. I would prefer a posix based OS and I would prefer to keep Linux closed source free.
>
> I am looking at the OpenIndiana project:
> http://wiki.openindiana.org
>
> the OI license allows linking with other licenses:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
>
> Currently there does not appear to be any Ada support.
>
> If the OS looks right I might try to port an ada enabled  gcc over, currently their gcc does not have ada support.
>
> Any feedback is welcome, thanks-Patrick

As this is an offspin of illumos, I suppose that a compiler for
OpenSolaris will be a good place to start:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnat/2012-02/msg00004.html
http://ada-dk.org/2011/12/solaris-gnat-packages/
http://www.dragonlace.net/posts/GNAT-AUX_on_Solaris/

- or did I miss something?

Regards
Erlo

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 19:44   ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-08-17 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Erlo

Yep, they forked Open solaris just before Oracle killed it.

The thing is I don't know much about Open Solaris either. i was just wondering if you guys had any opinions about the OS in general and if there is any interest in running Ada on it.

Thanks for the GNAT - Solaris links

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 20:19     ` erlo
From: erlo @ 2012-08-17 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/17/2012 09:44 PM, Patrick wrote:
> Hi Erlo
>
> Yep, they forked Open solaris just before Oracle killed it.
>
> The thing is I don't know much about Open Solaris either. i was just wondering if you guys had any opinions about the OS in general and if there is any interest in running Ada on it.

I have been in contact with Solaris running on Sun h/w, but not
OpenSolaris. I would only run (Open)Solaris if I had to do it for
compability reasons or to ease maintenance in case other machines was
running (Open)Solaris. I have no idea if anybody are interested in an
Ada compiler for that OS.

> Thanks for the GNAT - Solaris links

My pleasure.

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 20:20     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2012-08-17 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The thing is I don't know much about Open Solaris either. i was just
> wondering if you guys had any opinions about the OS in general and
> if there is any interest in running Ada on it.

I believe Solaris/SPARC was one of the primary GNAT platforms in the
90s.  You probably can still buy support from AdaCore for it, but
publicly available source code will not be well-tested.

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 20:22 ` erlo
From: erlo @ 2012-08-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/17/2012 06:52 PM, Patrick wrote:

> I am considering deploying a binary only application. I would prefer a posix based OS and I would prefer to keep Linux closed source free.

Have you considered a BSD variant? I do think they are POSIX compliant.
(And the license is no-nonsense)

> I am looking at the OpenIndiana project:
> http://wiki.openindiana.org
>
> the OI license allows linking with other licenses:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
>
> Currently there does not appear to be any Ada support.
>
> If the OS looks right I might try to port an ada enabled  gcc over, currently their gcc does not have ada support.
>
> Any feedback is welcome, thanks-Patrick

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 20:28       ` erlo
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: erlo @ 2012-08-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/17/2012 10:20 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> The thing is I don't know much about Open Solaris either. i was just
>> wondering if you guys had any opinions about the OS in general and
>> if there is any interest in running Ada on it.
>
> I believe Solaris/SPARC was one of the primary GNAT platforms in the
> 90s.  You probably can still buy support from AdaCore for it, but
> publicly available source code will not be well-tested.

If needed, it is possible to run the ACATS on the ported compiler:
http://ada-auth.org/acats.html

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 21:02         ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-08-17 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks again Erlo, thanks Florian

i liked the look of OI.  They are using Gnome 2. BSD is nice but I am not crazy about KDE

I have OI loaded on virtualbox. I'll load it on a real computer tonight, join their mailing list , give the port a try and report back.

Thanks!

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-17 21:31       ` Simon Wright
       [not found]       ` <kd8u2856a2fhirpii9cbpgaag3fumenhqm@invalid.netcom.com>
From: Simon Wright @ 2012-08-17 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> The thing is I don't know much about Open Solaris either. i was just
>> wondering if you guys had any opinions about the OS in general and
>> if there is any interest in running Ada on it.
>
> I believe Solaris/SPARC was one of the primary GNAT platforms in the
> 90s.  You probably can still buy support from AdaCore for it, but
> publicly available source code will not be well-tested.

... no more and no less well than FSF GCC on any platform.

AdaCore support Solaris on SPARC and x86[1].

You can get GCC 4.7.0 built[2] for Solaris 11 (x86)[3].

[1] http://www.adacore.com/gnatpro/platforms/
[2] http://forward-in-code.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/building-gcc-with-ada-on-solaris-x86.html
[3] http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GCC%20Solaris%2011%20i386%2C%20amd64/

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-18 11:44         ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-08-18 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Simon

You have already done all this, I'm good to go :)

Thanks for sharing

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
       [not found]       ` <kd8u2856a2fhirpii9cbpgaag3fumenhqm@invalid.netcom.com>
@ 2012-08-18 11:46         ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-08-18 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Before my lay-off (nearly a year ago), ....

Been there, done that. One week after moving in to a new house, Wife 3 weeks pregnant.

This time will pass, best of luck

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]       ` <kd8u2856a2fhirpii9cbpgaag3fumenhqm@invalid.netcom.com>
@ 2012-08-18 17:51       ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-08-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/08/2012 21:20, in article 87a9xti83j.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de, "Florian
Weimer" <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

>> The thing is I don't know much about Open Solaris either. i was just
>> wondering if you guys had any opinions about the OS in general and
>> if there is any interest in running Ada on it.
>
> I believe Solaris/SPARC was one of the primary GNAT platforms in the
> 90s.  You probably can still buy support from AdaCore for it, but
> publicly available source code will not be well-tested.

Yup.  We taught Ada 95 to 400 programming beginners each year, starting
1996, using Macs as editing stations and as terminals to a SPARC box running
GNAT 3.1*

It all worked a treat.

BTW if anyone has ready use of a SPARC box running a modern GNAT, I'd love
the chance to be able to port my KDF9 emulator.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-20  2:11 ` montezf
From: montezf @ 2012-08-20  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, August 17, 2012 11:52:48 AM UTC-5, Patrick wrote:
> I am considering deploying a binary only application. I would prefer a posix based OS and I would prefer to keep Linux closed source free.
>

> I am looking at the OpenIndiana project:
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org
>

> the OI license allows linking with other licenses:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
>

> Currently there does not appear to be any Ada support.
>

> If the OS looks right I might try to port an ada enabled  gcc over, currently their gcc does not have ada support.
>

> Any feedback is welcome, thanks-Patrick

There are a lot of variants of the Open Indiana platform.  There is even one or two that'll give you GNU Userspace if you're not quite ready to go all the way over (Nexenta).  Also Joyent has a nice JeOS based version of illumos that they use in production on their cloud stack (SmartOS) [This one takes a little bit to get used too].  Open Indiana is also solid and it is binary compatible with Linux so if something doesn't happen to be on there, it shouldn't be too much of  a hassle to put it on, well using gcc anyway.  If you want to use Sun CC it can be tricky to use that toolchain.  ZFS, DTrace, Zones, Crossbow are all pretty neat tech that's worth checking out.

* Re: Feedback on OpenIndiana ?
@ 2012-08-21 15:01   ` Paul Colin Gloster
From: Paul Colin Gloster @ 2012-08-21 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-08-20, montezf@gmail.com <montezf@gmail.com> posted:
|[. . .]  ZFS, [. . .] are all pretty neat tech that's worth checking out."|

Warning: ZFS is dangerously overrated.