* Air Force fightin reuse by its own people
@ 1993-08-16 20:41 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-08-16 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

      Here's the type of frustrated response I get when I post stuff about
DoD software policies and their problems.  In this case, the Air Force
fighting its own people.

My original post:
>     But for all of my arguments, especially in light of the DoD's attempts
>to start dual-using everything, the real question is:  How microeconomically
>significant is DoD software research?  What exactly is this country getting
>for the hundreds of millions of dollars being spent each year?  And more
>generally, how microeconomically significant is DoD research?

Non-attributable response:
	Not very, except to provide experience to programmers.  There is a real
problem with getting software the government pays for into the public hands.
Politics, NIMBY, NIH and the usual slew of personal peeves makes it nearly
impossible to get either good software at a good budget or software out the
door into the hands of the public.

	My attempts to get Air Force software we wrote for the government
into the hands of the public has met with miles of red tape and outright
stonewalling for two years now.
 Greg Aharonian                                      srctran@world.std.com
 Source Translation & Optimization                            617-489-3727
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

only message in thread, other threads:[~1993-08-16 20:41 UTC | newest]