* Why isn't the NSA releasing CELP in Ada?
@ 1993-08-08 16:13 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-08-08 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

     Recently the following (abridged) announcement appeared on comp.dsp
about the release of some software for CELPing (audio compression for
tranmission at modem communication rates).  The main author works for
the NSA, helped by someone at the IDA.

>We have placed an updated version of the FS-1016 CELP 3.2 code in the
>anonymous FTP area on super.org (192.31.192.1).  It's in:
>
>  /pub/celp_3.2a.tar.Z (please be sure to do the ftp in binary mode).
>
>The code (C, FORTRAN, diskio) all has been built and tested on a Sun4
>under SunOS4.1.3.  If you want to run it somewhere else, then you may
>have to do a bit of work.  (A Solaris 2.x-compatible release is
>planned soon.)
>
>Craig F. Reese  (cfreese@super.org)
>IDA/Supercomputing Research Center
>
>Joe Campbell (jpcampb@afterlife.ncsc.mil)
>Department of Defense
>
>P.S.  Just so you all know, I (Craig) am not actually involved in
>CELP work.  I mainly got with Joe to help make the software available
>on the Internet.  In the course of doing so, I cleaned up much of it.

    Once again, why can't these people come out with an Ada version of
some algorithms important in the domain it is being used for.  It is
not as if the NSA was short on money, or anything.  CELP in Ada could
help those in voice processing consider using Ada.  Once again we see
a missed opportunity to promote Ada, and more DoD employees violating
the Mandate.  It would be interesting to find out if the NSA has the
same "we hate Ada" philosophy that ARPA has.
 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

only message in thread, other threads:[~1993-08-08 16:13 UTC | newest]