* Ada on iPhone
@ 2012-01-20 15:31 Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2012-01-20 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or, rather, Ada source text, which can now be edited using
a fine Ada editor available for free on all iOS devices.

http://home.arcor.de/bauhaus/Ada/Ada-Vim-iPhone.html

:-)

* Re: Ada on iPhone
@ 2012-01-20 16:37 ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-01-20 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20/01/2012 15:31, in article
4f1988bb$0$6560$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net, "Georg Bauhaus"
<rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de> wrote:

> Or, rather, Ada source text, which can now be edited using
> a fine Ada editor available for free on all iOS devices.
>
> http://home.arcor.de/bauhaus/Ada/Ada-Vim-iPhone.html
>
> :-)

You had me excited for moment.
I'd love to run my KDF9 emulator on my iPhone,
if only for the contrast between the handheld and this:

<http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/about/history/photogallery/pages/1968-1.htm>

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: Ada on iPhone
@ 2012-01-20 18:26   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2012-01-20 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20.01.12 17:37, Bill Findlay wrote:

> I'd love to run my KDF9 emulator on my iPhone,

There might be two options:

1) to write the controller objects in Ada, preferably with
as little run-time support needed as possible; an ARM
compiler is around, though I don't know whether that's
good enough for iOS devices' ARMs. And I don't know
whether it is easy to integrate compilers with Apple's build
tools. (And I don't know whether Apple will say that
using a compiler for a different language violates a
rule allegedly enforcing C and Objective-C.
OTOH, programmers (and others) can install anything on
their own phones.)

2) to employ SofCheck's compiler which can output C...
If I still had the money lying around (thought it was quite
reasonable then, for a license and essentially no expectation
as to support), I'd just go for it.

> <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/about/history/photogallery/pages/1968-1.htm>

When "I/O subsystem" becomes much more obvious! :)

That biggest cabinet I had seen and heard working was about a tenth
the size only. It had a quite effective hair dryer, through.

* Re: Ada on iPhone
@ 2012-01-20 18:35     ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-01-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20/01/2012 18:26, in article
4f19b1b9$0$7624$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net, "Georg Bauhaus"
<rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de> wrote:

> On 20.01.12 17:37, Bill Findlay wrote:
>
>> I'd love to run my KDF9 emulator on my iPhone,
>

>> <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/about/history/photogallery/pages/1968-1.htm>
>
> When "I/O subsystem" becomes much more obvious! :)
>
> That biggest cabinet I had seen and heard working was about a tenth
> the size only.

That was about 20% of a typical KDF9.

--
Bill Findlay