From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu! msuinfo!uchinews!att-out!cbnewsl!willett@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (david.c.willett)
Subject: Re: Gauntlet gathering rust and dust
Date: 28 Jul 93 20:34:26 GMT	[thread overview]

l.mmc.com (Jim Crigler) writes:

>>Agreed that published stats seem cockeyed (listening, Greg?  Keep
>>listening...), but what % is classified?  (That statistic is probably
>>classified, too :-) But I have a feeling that it's probably < 25%.
>>Anybody got real numbers?
>
> Although classified projects probably do contribute something, the mix
> of languages used in such projects is probably about the same as that
> used in non-classified DoD work.  It amy even be argued that it is
> easier, and therefore more likely, to violate the mandate in a
> classified environment.
>
> What REALLY skews the numbers is that nobody is counting.  The vast
> majority of the 'statistics' are just estimates.
>
> "What is your source for that revelation?", he asked.

I think it will (would) be quite difficult to come up with repeatable
numbers across a wide variety of programs (projects).  I could turn
this into a Software Metrics discussion, but I'm going to resist that
temptation :^).  I will repeat a question I've asked before:

	Who cares about the raw numbers?

It doesn't really matter how many LOC are written in language X or how
many software houses use language Y (names obscured to protect the guilty)
What matters is "Which language is being used to solve the problems of
emerging technologies?".  Another important question that presumes an
answer to that one is "How well is it doing it?".

It will always be the case that the older languages will predominate any
"body of use" study.  The idea is for programmers to stay ahead of the
game by learning the emerging paradyms (emphasis here) ****before****
they emerge.  Running to jump on the current fad's bandwagon isn't going
to get you very far.

Here's a hint:

	Concentrate on the flaws in the current fad.

--
Dave Willett          AT&T Federal Systems Advanced Technologies
If you want to know --- ASK!  -- Linda Ellerbee