From: ddciiny!jls@uunet.uu.net  (Jonathan Schilling)
Subject: Re: How does your language grow? (Follow-up on comments on ADM Tuttle
Date: 20 Jul 93 13:59:04 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <EACHUS.93Jul19114911@spectre.mitre.org> eachus@spectre.mitre.org (R
obert I. Eachus) writes:
>                                        Much more surprising has
>been the almost total lack of implementation defined pragmas and
>attributes outside of VAX Ada.

How do you define "almost total lack"?  Just to pick two examples,
the Sun Ada native compiler for SPARC has by my count 16 implementation-
defined pragmas and three implementation-defined attributes, while the
DDC-I cross compiler for MIL-STD-1750A has 13 implementation-defined
pragmas and one implementation-defined attribute.  (By comparison,
DEC Ada has 26 implementation-defined pragmas and five implementation-
defined attributes, although the pragma total is somewhat inflated by
having different EXPORT and IMPORT pragmas for different language entities,
rather than "overloading" them.)

Are there specific pragma- or attribute-based capabilities that you
expected Ada compilers to have, that have never materialised?

--
Jonathan Schilling
DDC-I, Inc.