From: dale!helkenn@nosc.mil  (David Helken)
Subject: Re: lint tool for Ada?
Date: 30 Jun 93 20:14:14 GMT	[thread overview]

I would also like to know where a lint style tool could be found. Those who
underestimate its utility probably do not have to maintain Ada code. I have
often come accross with statements that were not needed - the compiler will not
tell you that some package is not referenced. I've seen type declarations that
have been superceded - the compiler will not tell you that a type is not used.
I've seen variables that are not referenced - the compiler does not catch
those either. The lint tools I've used also detected variables that were not
initialized before being referenced - the compiler could care? I'd like to see
such a tool that could also let me know that enumerated names were not
referenced in any 'image or 'value statements so that the space consumed in
some compiler for storing enumerated names could be freed thereby shrinking the
final code size. The binder usually will remove uncalled subprograms, but I
know of nothing that will eliminate unused variables. The point is, a lint tool
would be helpful for those of us who could use it.

  Am I just using the wrong compiler? :-)

	David