From: "John R. Strohm" <strohm@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: How to?  Writeable from a readable?
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:39:30 -0600
Date: 2003-01-05T21:39:30-06:00	[thread overview]

Maybe I'm way out in left field here.

In capability-based operating system terms, it sounds as though you are
trying to take a read-only capability and amplify it into a read-write
capability.  Every capability system I ever saw was specifically designed to
prevent you from doing precisely that: if the owner of the object wanted you
to have read-write access to the, he would have granted you a read-write
capability for the object in the first place.

What I think you want to do is go back to the original system, structure it
as a read-write object, and then make a read-only view of it that you give
out to the world.  Only the ones who really have a legitimate need for
read-write access get the read-write capability.