From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!overload.lbl.gov!agate!howland.reston.ans.net!ux1.cso.uiuc .edu!moe.ksu.ksu.edu!kuhub.cc.ukans.edu!hawk!billk@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Bill K
Subject: Re: XX(PL/I)  to Ada translator/lessons learned
Date: 26 May 93 18:08:48 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993May26.070218.5567@sctc.com> stachour@sctc.com (Paul Stachour)
  writes:
:
: Well, not quite true.  As an experiment, I translated the same
: PL/I code into Ada.  Yes, it was still a little wierd.  Not as
: bad as the C, but still weird.  So I compiled the code (no error
: messages), and ran a few test-cases.  Bamb! Took an exception
: (arressing outside the bounds of an array) on the first test.
:
: Analysis time.  Yep, the code is "coincidentally correct".
: The element of the array that's out-of-bounds is combined
: with other data in such a way that it never affects the
: results of the computation.
:
PL/I also does a runtime check of array bounds.  If you have done an
accurate translation the behavior should be the same using either language.

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  billk@hawk.cs.ukans.edu