From: cis.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus.
Subject: Re: ASR FAQ
Date: 23 May 93 22:10:45 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.93May23124154@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:
>>3. Who is paying for the ASR and its sites?
>>
>>The ASR is currently a voluntary activity without funding.  Disk space
>>is provided on SIMTEL20 on a space-available basis and is subject to
>>going away without warning if the need arises.
>
>   Once again, why in a climate where the DoD is funding three software
>reuse centers, is space for the ASR provided on an as available basis,
>and its organizer a volunteer.
>
>   I would be interesting to measure use of SIMTEL Ada repository versus
>the DoD taxpayer funded efforts to measure productivity.

But SIMTEL _is_ (at least for the hardware and network access) DoD /
taxpayer funded.

>From the FAQ:
}The  ASR  is  one of several repositories located on the SIMTEL20 DDN
}host computer  at  White  Sands  Missile Range in New Mexico.  SIMTEL20
}is owned and operated by the Computer Operations Division of the
}Information Systems Command of the U.S.  Army (USAISC).

While the Army apparently doesn't make the ASR a very high priority,
it is important enough that they have made the Ada and and other
archives freely and reliably available for over a decade.
   They are saying that if their mission or budget dictates, that
could change.  But that is true of _any_ government-sponsored program.

--
|Jon L. Spear (spear@cs.nps.navy.mil) : A man's reach should exceed his |
|Dept of Comp Sci, Code CS/Sj, x2830  : grasp, or what's a metaphor?    |