* Verdix Ada uses 320 Mbytes of memory on an SGI
@ 1993-05-03 11:18 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!ira.u
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!ira.u @ 1993-05-03 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

The compilation of a very large Ada - source forces the following

Error message :

  34:with text_io;
  A ---^
  A:error: requested 374784 bytes of memory
  A:error: already used 320786431 bytes of memory
  A:fatal: Out of memory

The Compiler was a Verdix Compiler on an Silicon Graphics Crimson.
Compiler Version 4.1 and   Operatiog system 4.0.5 C

Is there anybody who has the same problems ?

What is the reason for this message ?

Norbert Roeben

* Re: Verdix Ada uses 320 Mbytes of memory on an SGI
@ 1993-05-04 14:12 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!news.cac.psu.edu!icf.hrb.com!jtt
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!news.cac.psu.edu!icf.hrb.com!jtt @ 1993-05-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1960@pink.atlas.de>, roeben%atlas.de (Norbert Roeben) writes:
> The compilation of a very large Ada - source forces the following
>
> Error message :
>

>   34:with text_io;
>   A ---^
>   A:error: requested 374784 bytes of memory
>   A:error: already used 320786431 bytes of memory
>   A:fatal: Out of memory
>

> The Compiler was a Verdix Compiler on an Silicon Graphics Crimson.
> Compiler Version 4.1 and   Operatiog system 4.0.5 C
>
> Is there anybody who has the same problems ?
>
> What is the reason for this message ?
>
> Norbert Roeben

I had a similar problem with the Sun Ada 1.1.f (Verdix) compiler.
Compiling a package body with many internal procedures and a great deal
of Text_IO (a "data dumper" package). I really don't know what the
bug is that caused the compiler to eat all the memory in the system, but
the solution was simply to make "separates" of all the internal procedures
and compile them individually.

Jack Taylor
jtt@icf.hrb.com

* Re: Verdix Ada uses 320 Mbytes of memory on an SGI
@ 1993-05-04 15:46 David McAllister
From: David McAllister @ 1993-05-04 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1960@pink.atlas.de> roeben%atlas.de (Norbert Roeben) writes:
>The compilation of a very large Ada - source forces the following
>
>Error message :
>

>  34:with text_io;
>  A ---^
>  A:error: requested 374784 bytes of memory
>  A:error: already used 320786431 bytes of memory
>  A:fatal: Out of memory
>

>The Compiler was a Verdix Compiler on an Silicon Graphics Crimson.
>Compiler Version 4.1 and   Operatiog system 4.0.5 C
>
>Is there anybody who has the same problems ?
>
>What is the reason for this message ?
>
>Norbert Roeben

You also might consider using the latest release of Ada for SGI
systems.  the current version for single threaded code is 6.2
(AXM 6.2 Ada Development System).  If you're on maintenance,
you should receive it soon.

Dave McAllister
--
*SHINDO - the ART of the MIND*