From: pipex!uknet!uknet!mucs!clerew!chl@uunet.uu.net  (Charles Lindsey)
Subject: Re: Classes vs types; what's the difference?
Date: 14 Apr 93 16:58:20 GMT	[thread overview]

In <1993Apr12.152305.10571@seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman
) writes:

>In article <1993Apr12.150148.9736@evb.com> jgg@evb.com (John Goodsen) writes:
>>
>>I still maintain that the "better marketing" argument for using
>>"class types" instead of "tagged types" in Ada 9X has been to this
>>point unchallenged...
>>
>I think I'm tending to agree with this (how's that for hedging my bets?).
>Nothing would change syntactically by substituting "class" for "tagged".
>One new reserved word is required in either case; .

Can I remind you that I proposed the reserved word "classified" for this
purpose some while back. It has a few, but helpful, advantages.
	1) It is an adjective.
	2) It implies that the thing is not quite a genuine class, as
	understood elsewhere, but is clearly related.
	3) It carries a feeling that something special has been done to
	values of that type (such as adding a tag, or 'classification') to
	them, without actually ramming the idea down your throat as "tagged"
	does.

--
-