From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Performance on compilers
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 15:28:34 GMT
Date: 2001-06-07T15:28:34+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <90B9A15B5kjellmeschlinuxnu@130.100.128.24>, Kjell Mesch says...

>gnat sux, well at least the debugger on vxworks target and the ghs debugger
>seems to be a gift from a higher force ;-)

We have had occasional "issues" with the GHS debugger, but for the most part its
really nice. I really don't know anything about Gnat's setup, though. I heard it
integrated fully into the Tornado toolset (including its debugger). I'd think
that would have its advantages, including the possibility of target-shell
debugging which we don't have, but I really don't know.

>btw Do you use clearmake and what is your feelings about it?

If you have ClearCase as well, you will find that you now have 3 options for
"make". There's "clearmake", "omake" (both of which come with ClearCase), and
"make" (which is used by Tornado to build kernels). I don't know what "make"
Tornado would use on your system, but on Windows it comes with a version of GNU
Make. Since we were going to have to use Tornado's make files anyway for our
kernels, I just stuck with that. It has the added advantage that GNU Make has
free online documentation, and I was already quite familiar with it. clearmake
supposedly is smart enough to consider things obsolete when you change your view
of it, even if it is now "older". However, our Ada sources have to be built
using the GreenHills "build" tool and our kernel sources have to be built using
GNU make, so we couldn't really take advantage of clearmake if we were to use it
anyway.

---