* Ada cost breakpoints (was Re: Air Force helping to undermine Ada)
@ 1993-03-15 17:02 Michael D Shapiro
From: Michael D Shapiro @ 1993-03-15 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Munck recently wrote:

> Ada is mandated by DoD because a program that uses it cost less over
> its full life cycle.  The larger the program and the longer the life
> cycle, the higher the percentage saved.

This implies to me that for smaller programs with shorter life
cycles, Ada might cost more to use over the full life cycle.
Certainly a 23-line reformatting utility to be used one time and
discarded thirteen minutes later can probably be written in
SNOBOL4 or ICON (or even AWK) more cheaply than in Ada.  Has
anyone done a study to find these breakpoints?  One pair I've
heard mentioned as the appropriate minima for Ada are 500K
source lines of delivered code and/or seven years life cycle.

Michael D. Shapiro, Ph.D.              e-mail: mshapiro@nosc.mil
NCCOSC RDT&E Division (NRaD) Code 411    San Diego CA 92152-7560
Voice: (619) 553-4080     FAX: (619) 553-4808      DSN: 553-4080
 [Until January 1992 we were Naval Ocean Systems Center (NOSC)]

* Re: Ada cost breakpoints
@ 1993-03-19 17:04 Bob Munck
From: Bob Munck @ 1993-03-19 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In V93 #137, mshapiro@manta.nosc.mil (Michael D Shapiro) writes:
>Bob Munck recently wrote:
>
>> Ada is mandated by DoD because a program that uses it cost less over
>> its full life cycle.  The larger the program and the longer the life
>> cycle, the higher the percentage saved.
>
>This implies to me that for smaller programs with shorter life
>cycles, Ada might cost more to use over the full life cycle.
>Certainly a 23-line reformatting utility to be used one time and
>discarded thirteen minutes later can probably be written in
>SNOBOL4 or ICON (or even AWK) more cheaply than in Ada.

The esteemed and strange Dr. Shapiro is obviously alluding to the
serious problem now showing up in DoD programs in the
fractional-statement range.  We are beginning to realize that any Ada
project that does not involve at least a full legal Ada statement can
take femto-seconds to complete and cost $billions.  One project for a
service that I won't identify (but it's in the NNE corner of the
Pentagon) involves only the variable name and ":" of an assignment
statement (ending before the "=") now has a budget greater than that
of several European nations.

Bob Munck

(I realize that we don't really need more humor in Info-Ada as long as
we have the Ted and Greg Show.)

* Re: Ada cost breakpoints
@ 1993-03-29 15:35 crispen
From: crispen @ 1993-03-29 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

emery@mitre-bedford.arpa  (David Emery) sez:

>The problem with this example is that it is clearly *VERY* dependent
>on Unix, and specifically BSD, semantics.  Consider what would happen
>if you tried to port this code to a non-BSD or non-Unix environment.

Sorry to jump into this, but *I've* considered what happens -- you
write a package body that performs the equivalent functions (including
emulations and workarounds) in a non-BSD environment instead of pragma
Interface'ing in the private part of the package spec.  So what?  How
hard can that be for someone familiar with Unix and whatever proprietary
DOS you're trying to interface to?  Surely we're all familiar with
having several package bodies for a package spec by now.

>Despite the Open Systems and POSIX movements, Unix is not the only
>O.S. in the world (there's more DOS than any other O.S.) (scary, ain't it?)

Yup, it sure is, but we have hope that eventually the world will awaken
to the True Light ;-)

Seriously, Posix provides us with a standard, non-priprietary set of
OS interface semantics.  These semantics are (a) guaranteed to work
on a whole bunch of machines (or at least, if they don't work, the
vendor is obliged to admit that he has a problem); and (b) guaranteed
to change slowly, not at the whim of the vendor.  If you use Posix OS
interface semantics, you have reason to expect that your code will be
usable for a long, long time, and that changes will be relatively minor,
and announced to the world ahead of time.

It occurs to me that it might be sensible for programs to require
that all OS interfaces which are not pre-defined in the language (e.g.,
Text_IO, task stuff) be defined in Posix syntax.

What does the new AQ&S say about that?
| Bob Crispen                   |   Who will babysit the babysitters?  |
| (205) 461-3296                |Opinions expressed here are mine alone|