From: gate.ready.com!taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil!spear@decwrl.dec.com  (Jon Spear)
Subject: Re: Ada Coding Rules
Date: 21 Feb 93 22:54:59 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993Feb18.114045.11990@hsacsd.signaal.nl> jacobs@hsacsd.signaal.nl
writes:

>We are looking to literature and/or tools for Ada Coding Rules.
>
>These rules should cover (at least) the following topics like:
>  - the layout of the source code files (headers, indentation, etc.)
>  - naming conventions (for all kind of identifiers)
>  - the use of Ada (avoidance of complex constructions, side-effects).
>
>Also experiences of other people using this kind of coding rules is welcome.
>
>For information: we develop large real-time Air Traffic Control systems, mainl
>coded in Ada.

This has been mentioned before in this newsgroup, but if you haven't
already gotten it, you should take a look at: _Ada_Quality_and_Style:_
Guidelines_for_Professional_Programmers_, SPC-91061-CMC, Version 02.01.01,
dated December 1992.
   This is about 200 pages of Ada guidelines with rationale,
references and examples.  Most of them are pretty good ideas (IMHO).
There are many comments on how conformance with the guidelines could
(or couldn't) be automatically checked, but they don't point to any
style auditing programs [are there any out there?].  It doesn't
address all your topics, but is a good start.
   You can FTP it as compressed postscript files from
ajpo.sei.cmu.edu:/public/adastyle/, or can order paper copies (cost
unknown) from:

	National Technical Information Service: Commerce Dept.
	5285 Port Royal Rd.
	Springfield, VA  22161
	(703)487-4650

   Please let us know of other coding guides or auditors that might
be available.

-Jon
--
| Jon L. Spear (spear@cs.nps.navy.mil) : With computers we can make        |
| Dept of Comp Sci, Code CS/Sj, x2830  : billions of misteaks each second. |