From: cis.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!h
Subject: Re: simple exception-handler
Date: 8 Feb 93 19:36:53 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <otte.2.0@antpc.ant.uni-hannover.de> otte@antpc.ant.uni-hannover.de
(Herr Otte) writes:

>   While I am trying to test my packages and subprograms,
>   I want to write an exception-handler, which only puts
>   the name of the raised exception to the standard output.
>   The first solution, that I found, was :
>
>   with Text_IO ;
>   procedure Error_IO_Test is
>   exception
>     when CONSTRAINT_ERROR => Text_IO.Put_Line ("CONSTRAINT_ERROR");
>     when NUMERIC_ERROR    => Text_IO.Put_Line ("NUMERIC_ERROR");
>     when PROGRAM_ERROR    => Text_IO.Put_Line ("PROGRAM_ERROR");
>     when STORAGE_ERROR    => Text_IO.Put_Line ("STORAGE_ERROR");
>     when TASKING_ERROR    => Text_IO.Put_Line ("TASKING_ERROR");
>   end Error_IO_Test;
>
>   The number of lines in the exception-handler will increase,
>   if I take care not only for the standard exceptions, but for
>   the Text_IO exceptions and my own user-defined exceptions.
>   For this reason, I prefer a solution like this :
>
>   with Text_IO ;
>   procedure Error_IO_Test is
>   exception
>     when others => Text_IO.Put_Line ( <Name_of_the_Error> );
>   end Error_IO_Test;
>   Of course, the above solution with Text_IO doesn't work.
>   Do there really exist a solution, that is easier than
>   writing all the names of all known exceptions ?

There's no "Current Exception Name" function in Ada, but there's
nothing barring Ada compiler vendors from including such a function in
SYSTEM or in another vendor-supplied package.  Our compiler does
provide a function like that.  You should check the Ada documentation
that came with your compiler, or ask your vendor.

                                Adam Beneschan
                                Irvine Compiler Corporation