* Re: Any ideas on how 'is separate' interfers with optimization?
@ 1992-12-07 12:50 Brandon
From: Brandon @ 1992-12-07 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada Letters about 6 months ago had an excellent article discussing the
use of separates and compiler optimization.  At the very least, by placing some
 unit as separate, we eliminate the compiler's ability to choose inline code
generation for this unit.
		Brandon Goldfedder

--
Maryland Driver's Test

Pedestrians are
	(a) irrelevant.

* Re: Any ideas on how 'is separate' interfers with optimization?
@ 1992-12-18 20:14 Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 1992-12-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1992Dec7.125030.4528@evb.com> brandon@evb.com (Brandon) writes:

> Ada Letters about 6 months ago had an excellent article discussing the
> use of separates and compiler optimization.  At the very least, by placing
> some unit as separate, we eliminate the compiler's ability to choose
> inline code generation for this unit.
>                   Brandon Goldfedder

We need to know:  are there any Ada compilers that handle explicit
inlining of separate units?  In other words:

    package body PACK_BODY is
        procedure P;
        pragma INLINE (P);

        procedure P is separate;
    end PACK_BODY;

Are there any Ada compilers that will inline the code when P is called
(assuming the body of P has already been compiled before the code that
calls P is compiled)?  If the answer is different depending on whether
P is also declared in the specification of PACK_BODY, please let me
know.

Someone from Rational said that their compiler provides full
optimization in the case of separates.  Is this case included in that?

Please email responses to abeneschan@irvine.com.  I really appreciate
it.  Thank you in advance.

                                -- Adam Beneschan
                                -- Irvine Compiler Corporation

* Re: Any ideas on how 'is separate' interfers with optimization?
@ 1992-12-21 14:37 enterpoop.mit.edu!hri.com!noc.near.net!news.Brown.EDU!qt.cs.utexas.edu!cs
From: enterpoop.mit.edu!hri.com!noc.near.net!news.Brown.EDU!qt.cs.utexas.edu!cs @ 1992-12-21 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alsys compilers will inline separately compiled procedure bodies,
provided they're compiled prior to compilation of the calling unit,
and the appropriate compiler switch is used.

- Ed Falis, Alsys