From: elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!usc!news.cerf.net!shrike.irvine.com!adam@uunet.uu.net  (Adam Beneschan)
Subject: Re: Any ideas on how 'is separate' interfers with optimization?
Date: 18 Dec 92 20:14:20 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1992Dec7.125030.4528@evb.com> brandon@evb.com (Brandon) writes:

> Ada Letters about 6 months ago had an excellent article discussing the
> use of separates and compiler optimization.  At the very least, by placing
> some unit as separate, we eliminate the compiler's ability to choose
> inline code generation for this unit.
>                   Brandon Goldfedder

We need to know:  are there any Ada compilers that handle explicit
inlining of separate units?  In other words:

    package body PACK_BODY is
        procedure P;
        pragma INLINE (P);

        procedure P is separate;
    end PACK_BODY;

Are there any Ada compilers that will inline the code when P is called
(assuming the body of P has already been compiled before the code that
calls P is compiled)?  If the answer is different depending on whether
P is also declared in the specification of PACK_BODY, please let me
know.

Someone from Rational said that their compiler provides full
optimization in the case of separates.  Is this case included in that?

Please email responses to abeneschan@irvine.com.  I really appreciate
it.  Thank you in advance.

                                -- Adam Beneschan
                                -- Irvine Compiler Corporation