* Tired of the Ada vs. (Pick your language) discussion
@ 1992-12-16 12:58 Glenn Tarcea
From: Glenn Tarcea @ 1992-12-16 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Can we please stay on the topic of discussing Ada, and Ada in
real-world systems. All languages have their strengths and weaknesses
and I am tired of hearing religous comparisons of why either Ada is
better than language X or language X is better than Ada. Maybe a news
group called comp.lang.religion should be started for these stupid
discussions. I program in both 'C' and Ada and I can appreciate the
strengths (and weaknesses) of each of the languages, I don't need
somebody to give me their supposedly unbiased opinion on language
greatness.

  -- glenn

=
              __   __   ___  |   Glenn Tarcea -| Software Tools |-
         //// _  __  ___     |   General Dynamics
        ///  __    ___    __ |

* Re: Tired of the Ada vs. (Pick your language) discussion
@ 1992-12-16 15:41 aio!news
From: aio!news @ 1992-12-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BzCs15.B28@gdls.CSCTMD.COM> tarcea@gdls.CSCTMD.COM (Glenn Tarcea)
writes:

>  Can we please stay on the topic of discussing Ada, and Ada in
>real-world systems. All languages have their strengths and weaknesses
>and I am tired of hearing religous comparisons of why either Ada is
>better than language X or language X is better than Ada. Maybe a news
>group called comp.lang.religion should be started for these stupid
>discussions. I program in both 'C' and Ada and I can appreciate the
>strengths (and weaknesses) of each of the languages, I don't need
>somebody to give me their supposedly unbiased opinion on language
>greatness.

I AGREE! How about a group called: comp.lang.Ada.Argue or
comp.lang.Ada.Waste_of_time or comp.lang.Ada.get_back_to_work.

If you are still compelled to post about Ada .vs. whatever, think twice, and
dont!

John R. Cobarruvias, Texas A&M Class of '78,
NASA Johnson Space Center Houston Tx.
(713)483-9357

"And to think..................I hesitated" (Hellraiser II)

* Re: Tired of the Ada vs. (Pick your language) discussion
@ 1992-12-16 21:32 Josh Lam
From: Josh Lam @ 1992-12-16 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BzCs15.B28@gdls.CSCTMD.COM> tarcea@gdls.CSCTMD.COM (Glenn Tarcea) w
rites:

Glenn>   Can we please stay on the topic of discussing Ada, and Ada in
Glenn> real-world systems. All languages have their strengths and weaknesses
Glenn> and I am tired of hearing religous comparisons of why either Ada is
Glenn> better than language X or language X is better than Ada. Maybe a news
Glenn> group called comp.lang.religion should be started for these stupid
Glenn> discussions. I program in both 'C' and Ada and I can appreciate the
Glenn> strengths (and weaknesses) of each of the languages, I don't need
Glenn> somebody to give me their supposedly unbiased opinion on language
Glenn> greatness.

I agree whole-heartly!

Let's make more constructive use of this newsgroup.  Also, its nice to see
champions of various languages eg Grady Booch and Bjarne Stroustrup working
and holding conferences together. Let's learn from them and be gracious.

--
Josh Lam
Honeywell Inc

* Re: Tired of the Ada vs. (Pick your language) discussion
@ 1992-12-17 21:11 Jim Withrow
From: Jim Withrow @ 1992-12-17 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

writes:

>Glenn>   Can we please stay on the topic of discussing Ada, and Ada in
>Glenn> real-world systems. All languages have their strengths and weaknesses
>Glenn> and I am tired of hearing religous comparisons of why either Ada is
>Glenn> better than language X or language X is better than Ada. Maybe a news
>Glenn> group called comp.lang.religion should be started for these stupid
>Glenn> discussions. I program in both 'C' and Ada and I can appreciate the
>Glenn> strengths (and weaknesses) of each of the languages, I don't need
>Glenn> somebody to give me their supposedly unbiased opinion on language
>Glenn> greatness.
>
>I agree whole-heartly!
>
>Let's make more constructive use of this newsgroup.  Also, its nice to see
>champions of various languages eg Grady Booch and Bjarne Stroustrup working
>and holding conferences together. Let's learn from them and be gracious.
>
>--
>Josh Lam
>Honeywell Inc
>lam@saifr00.cfsat.honeywell.com

It would be nice to see more discussions on using Ada, and less comparing it
against ___ language.  Some of us MUST use it, and although it may not
be the language of choice, it still must be used.